Monday, June 01, 2009

The Solemn Feast of Queen's Birthday

One of the features of decrepency and retirement is that everyone else knows that next weekend is a long weekend because of Queen's Birthday, but you didn't know until it became apparent in the circumstances of life. Once upon a time, you knew it weeks ahead, and planned for it.

So we had Rachel and Simon and little Stephen (10 months) come up for dinner on Saturday, and Rachel and Stephen stayed over till Monday, and went back to Auckland with Mary. It was all lovely. Stephen is the most rewarding little kid, responsive, etc, etc... Both Simon and Mary subscribe to the NZ Taste magazine, actually quite good about menus and recipes -- but it means that Mary competes with Simon, in the gentlest possible ways of course. So we tend to get quite nice food.

It was Pentecost Sunday, and the locals were invited to show up wearing red for Pentecost. This amuses the local believers and advances the faith. Stephen utterly refuses to wear his knitted red beany, so that's a dead loss. Etc, etc... this is the local church from which I am emancipated.

But now they have all gone back to Auckland. All I have left to do is get the washing dry, and bring it in. I am alone..! Oh dear, how sad, never mind... I can live happily in both worlds.

And in my solitude world...? Well, that is my hermit existence. Except that tomorrow I feel committed to set off for Hamilton, to visit my mother's remaining half-sisters, Tui and Patsy, in Te Awamutu, and also Helen Oliver. Helen and Jack Oliver, Jack now died, are very old friends.

I don't want to venture from here. But this one I ought to do.

Pentecost passed without inspiration, except that I keep the faith.

No comments: